We speak to graduates every day advising them on what to expect when applying for their first job within their desired field. Here are our top tips on what you should be doing to secure a permanent job or further placements:
- Complete an internship within your desired field with a Supplier or High street retailer or brand if possible. Even for entry level roles you’ll need 6 – 12months in industry ideally.
- If you’re looking to get in to design your portfolio is key; start working on personal projects making sure they are commercial and aimed at the high street market – include trend boards, shapes, colours, fabrics, prints and tech packs. This can be digital format.
- Look at vacancies paying between £18,000 - £20,000
- Have a PDF and Word format CV. Less is more with a CV – bullet points, key achievements, and relevant experience.
- CV’s should list all computer packages used during your time at university and during your internship e.g. Excel, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Gerber, CLO3D etc
- Make sure your IT skills are excellent
- Be open minded, it’s about getting that first foot in the door.
- Be persistent – apply, apply, apply
- Keep track of your applications and follow up
Fashion & Retail Personnel are a market leading Fashion Recruitment agency with a highly experienced Design, Wholesale & Technical division specialising in recruiting for design and technical jobs with retailers, brands and suppliers.
If you have completed an internship within a Design, Technical or Production department and you’re looking for your first permanent job in the fashion industry please do get in touch
email@example.com or call us on 020 7436 0220.